Wednesday, September 15, 2010

An Early Look At "The Tourist"


Hmph.

Two things you should know: I dislike Angelina Jolie, not because I doubt her acting ability, not because...not really for any one particular reason, but I just don't like her. She seems snakelike. Then, there's the simple fact that I love Johnny Depp.

The trailer's not bad, however from all the hype I had been reading, I was expecting something more...serious. More dramatic and less windows-exploding-in and less of Depp acting silly. I don't know why, given his recent list of characters, but perhaps I thought the mood of Public Enemies was going to carry over into The Tourist given it has the--let me quote--"king and queen of Hollywood" in it. Let me put it this way: I like the music.

Honestly, from this alone, the movie looks like an updated version of North by Northwest (which I conveniently watched this semester for a class!). Depp's got a case of mistaken identity and has a run in with a shady femme fatale. If not that, then it reminds me of the trailers for Salt where Jolie plays some secret double agent type yet again, only this movie has a significant other for her to exchange witty banter with. (Let it be known I did not see Salt.)

I want something else from both of these actors. They're fine people, and I know they're capable of a lot! But another secret agent-esque role for Jolie? And a virtual nobody (as far as we know) character for Depp? Seriously? I want--I expect a hell of a lot more from Depp after falling in love with both Edward Scissorhands and Jack Sparrow. He makes characters his own. He needs something more than supporting male role to the suspicious female. And that's another thing, I think because of his lack of character Jolie is the one commanding this movie when recently Depp's been the name-sake heavyweight (Alice in Wonderland). Although it will be interesting to see if the power balances or shifts at all, given both Depp and Jolie have been given the title of "sex symbol."

Regardless of whatever reviews, previews or what ever else may surface between now and December 10th, I'm seeing this. It's a hobby of mine to attempt to see any and all Johnny Depp movies, and so far I've probably caught about half of them. I think I'm more excited for Rango, not only because it's animated and looks cute, if not quaint, but also for the second year in a row I'll be getting a Johnny Depp movie on my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment