Monday, October 4, 2010

The Internet Has Eaten My Braaain

My inability to keep a schedule with this blog frustrates me. When I was keeping a weekly post, it made me realize how quickly time was going by. I find myself in a conundrum.

Right, so once again the Internet went out, this time it died Friday night and didn’t come back until late Monday afternoon. Time and time again I was left grumbling and snarling about the shit connection in the apartment, and once again multiple people reminded me that I should have actually spoke to people who lived in my apartment before I moved in. But according to the managers, this problem didn't start happening until this year. The same managers that told me that their negotiations with the cable company shut out only Mac computers. Not sure who to trust. But the manager's nice. So it's hard to be mad to their faces. But then again it's not hard, because I'm taking an online class that is...online. And it can't be accessed when offline. Every two weeks we have about two papers and a project due in this class, that mostly take the form of webpages. It's not a big deal to me, I did the last project in maybe three hours, I'm used to coding pages, but still. The Internet we were guaranteed with rent needs to work. Especially given this is an apartment that caters to university students.

So this is nearly six days now in the past month that I've been without Internet, and on the one hand, I feel really really pathetic I can hardly make it a day without griping and getting upset that I can't get on the Internet. It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to disdainfully think a computer is worthless if it doesn't have an Internet connection (especially since I don't know where my Sims 3 disc is). I know this isn't right at all--computers have that inherent quality to compute things and they've got these nifty things that help write papers called 'word processors.' I've got photoshop and artistic ability, I could blow some time with art. But no, when the Internet dies I'm suddenly paralyzed and feel entirely cut off from the world. I'm left to check Facebook updates on my terribly slow connection on my phone (not a smart phone, so yes the connection there is bad) and run the battery down. For the past several days I've had to cart my laptop to campus and check email and do little bits of homework here and there, but when I know in the back of my mind the Internet doesn't work at home, there's such a finality to everything I do on the computer that I begin panicking that I won't get it all done between classes and then I'll be left in the dark when I go home.

It's terrible. I'm so paranoid it's just sad.

But on the other hand, knowing that I really can't go more than a day or two without Internet, I'm comfortable enough to admit this fact because I know a lot of people in my generation can't. Freaking digital age infiltration, and all. It doesn't bother me so much to say that because it's more accepted now. I've been hooked on the computer since I was a kid, and got into the Internet in my late elementary school years. I've always been a tech person.

And it just frustrates me to no end when I can't fix the problem. I think that--the fact that I had to call tech support over the weekend and they couldn't find the problem and couldn't send a technician until Monday--was comparable to twisting a knife in a wound. If I had access to the modem I could fix it. If I was at home, I could fix it, and then if I couldn't, I would be fine being mad at myself for not being knowledgeable enough about the hardware. Here? No. I'm left floundering in the darkness that is a broken Internet connection, having to wait for other people to come to the rescue when I know I'm perfectly capable.

On an unrelated note, I've started getting Nintendo Power magazines in the mail again after about a two year break. Huzzah! I'm excited and they're helping me expand my Christmas list. Also the latest Entertainment Weekly has The Social Network crew on the front, and I fully intend to see that movie soon and would be willing to do a little review. Then there's this upcoming assignment where we film students are going to be able to analyze any film we want in accordance to the Motion Picture Code developed in the '30s. I'm doing Iron Man 2 because it came in the mail last week and yes. Then I'm intending to shoot my second film project for the other film class tomorrow.

Fun times? Eh, sure. Stress? Hell yes.

So...be on the lookout for a possible post on the film shoot, and another on the wonderfulness that is Harry Potter (I've wanted to share my thoughts on it for a while, but figured I should wait until I refreshed my memory...and I started book 6 again this morning).

Happy Monday, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment