Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Emmys and Other Outstanding Awards

I love watching things like the Emmys and the Oscars. Watching the Emmys with Jimmy Fallon, who I love for his not always funny jokes but for the way he can always manage to laugh at himself, in the year that Lost ended, I feel like it’s a bit closer to my heart this year than usual.

But aside from the shows and movies that we love, we get to see actors, writers, producers and directors being rewarded for what they do best. The most deserving (arguably, in some cases) are called forth and pitted against one and other for the coveted awards. In a battle of the arts the victors rise and spill their hearts and souls on stage upon the acceptance of said awards. I think I enjoy these specials so much because these people that we put above all others—celebrities---are brought back down to earth for a few seconds.

The acceptance speeches are often personal, “thanks mom!” and usually obligatory, “I have to thank Twentieth Century Fox…” But just watching these people up on stage exasperated, out of breath and trembling, you have to just smile and be proud. These people have worked hard and all through the Emmys so far, everyone has stated they’re grateful for their jobs and they love the people they work with. Everyone wants to have a job that they’re happy to go to and is filled with people we love.

I bitch about the quality of programming all the time, but watching these award shows, I’m left biting my lip. I don’t agree that Modern Family is deserving of such great attention, but when Jim Parsons of The Big Bang Theory won his Emmy, I was overjoyed. You want people you like and appreciate to do well and be happy in life. I could go on for half a day about how The Big Bang Theory relates so much to my life and my nerdiness and all of my engineer/doctorial friends. I, a film major, miss science so much that I’ve decided I want to double major in science.

But right, when we watch the people climb up on stage and fight back tears, we smile. I’m happy for the people and shows that get the awards they deserve and whine when House and Lost have missed the mark. But it really just gets me when people don’t thank a mile-long list of people and they share a piece of themselves instead.

This speech from the 82nd Academy Awards is one of the most memorable, inspiring things to me.

"Thank you, guys. When I was... I was nine and I asked my dad, "Can I have your movie camera? That old, wind-up 8mm camera that was in your drawer?" And he goes, "Sure, take it." And I took it and I started making movies with it and I started being as creative as I could, and never once in my life did my parents ever say, "What you're doing is a waste of time." Never. And I grew up, I had teachers, I had colleagues, I had people that I worked with all through my life who always told me what you're doing is not a waste of time. So that was normal to me that it was okay to do that. I know there are kids out there that don't have that support system, so if you're out there and you're listening, listen to me: If you want to be creative, get out there and do it; it's not a waste of time. Do it. Okay? Thank you. Thank you." – Michael Giacchino

I firmly believe that anyone and everyone who wants to work in entertainment should, in this day and age, be allowed to do so. If someone seriously wants a career acting and is willing to do the work, they should have someone rooting for them. If not their parents, then this guy.

What we’re aspiring to, writers, actors, aspiring authors and directors; it’s not a waste of time. Even writing here is bettering your communication skills with others and your writing ability. I wish any and all of you reading the best of luck in your endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment